ATTENTION ALL CONSUMERS & POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS

My vehicle was hit by a nationwide customer. After it taking A WEEK to even get an adjuster out to look at my vehicle, I had to continuing calling and following up with everyone just to find out 2 weeks after the incident that my vehicle was going to be considered a total loss.

Here is where I had left off in regards to dealing with the adjusters and the Company that claims it is "On your side."

Essentially their company is going to try and pay you way less than what your vehicle is worth, and then try and force you to take the offer by pulling the rental vehicle. NATIONWIDE IS A HORRIBLE COMPANY. DON'T PURCHASE THEIR POLICIES, AND IF YOU ARE HIT BY ONE OF THEIR DRIVERS, LAWYER UP -IMMEDIATELY!

*This is dealing with the Total Loss dept. in Des Moines, IA.

----

Upon speaking with Mary Sovath on Friday September 19th, 2014, I was sent a CCC packet that had an insufficient amount of comparable vehicles that it was able to locate. Mary was apologetic on the phone saying they typically find anywhere from 15-30+ vehicles to find the Actual Cash Value (ACV), but for mine they were only able to find 2. So she was only able to offer me $8631.44 or, $6,228.83 if I kept the vehicle, (with a salvage value of $2,402.61.) I explained to Mary that I understand, but knew the ACV proposed was too low and didn't reflect the true ACV. I then asked Mary, what was it that Nationwide and CCC look for when comparing a vehicle and she stated, "that Nationwide and CCC prefer Private Party sales, because there is no profit added into the price, like there would be at a dealership." I acknowledged her answer, and asked her where does CCC and Nationwide typically find their comparables at, she explained, that " 'We' use multiple resources such as Cars/Autotrader/Truecar.com as well as various classifieds." She also explained that "they look for vehicles within a close proximity of where the claimant lives, usually no more than 200-300 miles away," as well as "the more recent the listing of the vehicle the better." Again I acknowledged Mary's responses and told her I would like to check out some comparable vehicles of my own and if I found any, that I would send them to her Monday. She gladly agreed and said she would be happy to look at the vehicles and adjust the price accordingly.

Monday, September 22nd,2014, rolls around and I had sent her 8 additional comparables that I had found using Mary's specified criteria. I also attached an excel spreadsheet, that documented What source I found the comp, the list price, distance away, mileage on the vehicle, factors that changed the value, total, and the dates the vehicles were listed for sale.

I then received an email back from Mary stating she would sit down with her boss, and would get back to me on Wednesday Sept, 24th 2014, after you two had a chance to review the information.

Wednesday, September 24th, 2014: at 3:19 p.m. when I hadn't heard anything yet, I sent an inquiry to Mary asking about the Jeep. I then received an email back at 4:14 p.m. saying that you two had just met, and that you were working on "ideas.. to get more value added to the jeep." But that you hadn't determined a number.

Thursday, September 25th, 2014: I found 5 more comparable vehicles, bringing the total number of vehicles to 15 and emailed them to her this morning by 11 a.m., continuing to validate that the ACV initially offered by Nationwide wasn't anywhere close to correct. Bringing the ACV according to the comps to $11,534.94 or ($9,132.33 if I chose to keep the vehicle.)

Friday, September 26th, 2014: Hadn't heard anything back by this morning, reached out to Mary again at 10:45 a.m. to check on the status of the jeep.

@ 2:02 p.m. I heard back from Mary saying she appreciated me sending the comparables, but that she only "felt" 2 vehicles were comparable, due to some having additional add-ons. She then offered an ACV of $9284.25

@ 2:13 p.m. (11 Minutes later), I replied, asking which 2 vehicles she "felt" were comparable and the schedule she used to quantify the other add-ons, and what exactly a "big tire" consist of, so that we could determine values for each item and calculate what each was worth, thus allowing us to determine an objective value for each of the other comparable vehicles.

-No Response from Mary

Saturday & Sunday, September 27 & 28th, 2014: Having heard no response from Mary, and knowing that offer was still extremely low, I then decided to find the "new" price for every part or upgrade that I could either see or what was identified by the listings. I then drafted her a letter breaking down how each figure and value was determined, using numbers and percentages pulled DIRECTLY from CCC.

Bringing the new value, after having calculated every option and upgrade to a Total Direct Payout of $11,587.06, or ($9,184.45 should I chose to keep the vehicle.)

Monday, September 29th: @10:31 am, Letter, Jeep Comp Spreadsheet (with final and adjusted figures were attached), Jeep Options Breakdown, Every Upgrade specified under the options breakdown, and all of the comparable vehicle were emailed over.

**(All of which you find in the attachments to this email, titled)

Tuesday, September 30th: @ 10:36 a.m. I received and email back from Mary, stating the comps she was referring to on Friday, that she "felt" were comparable, was #2 & #4. But that "in the interested of getting this settled," because she was "sure 'I' am not wanting to drag this out any longer than necessary," I was now offered $9,622.14.. which is still almost $2,000 under the true ACV. She continued on saying that "the last day Nationwide can pay for your rental will be this Friday."

@ 11:01 a.m. I wrote back to Mary expressing my dissatisfaction with the integrity of the company for not paying what it needed to and then taking away the rental car as a way to try and force my hand into accepting the low offer. I also stated that I am willing to keep fighting for what money that is legally owed, especially with all of the evidence to support the ACV, and I am willing to escalate it to the next level if the need arises.

@ 11:15 a.m. Mary replied that she can't meet me at the value.

@ 11:35 a.m. I restated via email to Mary that the value is what it is and I am standing firm on $11,587.06, because that is the true proven ACV number and that I know nationwide can pay it, because that is what the company is obligated to do.

@11:57 a.m. I was given the manager "Michael Ramsey's" information to get this resolved.

Wednesday, October 1st, 2014: Emailed Manager at 2:37 p.m. email explaining the situation.

As of today October 4th, 2014, have yet to hear anything back.

AGAIN, I CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH.. NATIONWIDE IS A HORRIBLE COMPANY. DON'T PURCHASE THEIR POLICIES, AND IF YOU ARE HIT BY ONE OF THEIR DRIVERS, LAWYER UP -IMMEDIATELY!

Had an Experience with Nationwide Insurance?

Comments