16.2K views
Resolved

Update by user Jul 11, 2015

The 6 months is complete as I was sent a new device and started the program all over.I consider myself as a very good driver but I was so many hard braking and quite a few fast accelerations.

This is necessary when getting on the toll road where speed limit is 65 to keep up with traffic. One day I was stuck in the lower pasture in mud and charged with 43 fast accelerations and about the same number of hard braking but did not even register a mile of driving. Bottom line....I got a 9% discount . I complained many times to them and the weekly reports always raised my blood pressure!

Was it worth the aggrivation?I say no.

Update by user Dec 02, 2014

The company finally got back with me and said that there was an issue with my vin number being the same as another person on the plan????I sent back the unit and they have sent me a replacement that should be here in a few days.

I was taken off the program and then put back on with a clean slate.I will see how this goes for a while and then update.

Original review posted by user Nov 03, 2014

It has been 2.5 months since I switched my regular Nationwide policy to the new smartride policy where you can "save up to 30% more" based on your driving habits.I recently retired and spend most of my time at the farm now and drive the Tundra very little as there are 2 other vehicles at my disposal.

Since I plugged the smartride module in, they are showing me driving 2 to 4 hundred miles a week wish fast accelerations and hard braking incidents when the truck never left the garage. I have e-mailed them over 6 times and questioned weather someone else could have been driving it etc. I have told them that the garage is locked and alarmed and that I have been right here mowing grass and driving the tractor with the truck in sight while these trips have been supposedly taking place. I have a Rolls Royce car (which Nationwide will not insure) and my partner's new F150 (insured elseware) that I drive most of the time.

Even the 2nd week of September when we went to the beach house for 10 days and left the truck locked in the garage here they showed me driving long trips every day in the truck. Nationwide has not responded timely to my complaints. The last email from them over a month ago said they were trying to figure out where the inaccurate data was coming from. That was the last I heard.

I am ready to start looking around for insurance somewhere else but it is such a hassle changing as the city home and truck are tied together for a discount and when you change homeowners insurance they always send out an inspector to find something wrong.

This smartride has been nothing but an aggravation since I installed it.I am wondering if other people have had this same problem with the smartride and id this is Nationwide's way of not giving customers the discount.

Review about: Nationwide Insurance Homeowners Insurance.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I didn't like: Slow customer service.

Had an Experience with Nationwide Insurance?

Comments

I have been "charged" with hard braking, when I am on my own street.

Because the company claims that it will help, yet it hinders the policy holder.You get penalized for mileage that was not used.

You get penalized for idling, when you are using a remote start, and are not even in the car. Does that make sense?

The customer service people do not even know what to answer, when you ask them a question.I will be looking for another agency, poste haste.

Miller Place, New York, United States #1243029

Yea smartride is such a *** thing

Midlothian, Virginia, United States #1214302

I agree with all the comments posted here.This device is a joke.

The smart ride is installed in my wifes truck. Her driving record is perfect. How this device registers hard braking is unconprehinsible too us. She drives a bus for a living, she should be a Drivers Ed instructor.

I wonder if Nationwide makes their employees use this while driving company vehicles?

Just curious if you're a Pittsburg pa resident on the smartrride program, myself and my friend live in Mt Lebanon, we are nationwid auto insurance customer and we were denied acceptanc into the smart ride program.We were told that Pittsburg .

Pa doesn't participate in that pprogram.

Candy

Yes i had similar situation, also i had situation where i used smart ride on my 2000 ford expedition and i had very clean record amazing from what i was told.but then i sold the truck and purchased another vehicle same day,i was informed to do smart ride all over,but if you read the smart ride booklet it states you can transfer to another vehicle no problem,but nationwide smart ride told me i cant that i have to start over no such thing as transferring smart ride from one vehicle to the next,but today i was told i could of had it done,that i was misinformed by smart ride and they apologized soooo many times but yet did nothing to accommodate me,i got so pissed off that they are so unprofessional and do not take responsibility for there actions of misleading customers.They also try to charge me for a device that I have sent back 3 weeks ago that they never received.

I was told no problem it may gotten lost in mail,i said whatever it is i sent it out.and i was also informed that smart ride does not give you 10% off the top immediately, you have to run its data collection course and you then get discounts on next term of car insurance.

But it wont be a 10% minimum it can go low as 0% even with all this mistakes on data collected, yes it can affect your insurance.I think its useless, it another way to get you to do another term and another way to *** you.by the way if you smash up the device into tiny itty-bitty pieces and send it back to them with a...

It is a scam, would not recommend! Donald Metee is my agent at Nationwide. What a joke, my discount was 18% on my new truck and 21% on my wife's new car, total was $24.00.

I've yet to see anyone ask the right question.The experiences posted, however true they may be, are nonetheless anecdotal and subjective.

The question everyone should be asking is HOW Nationwide is arriving at your discount.

1. Does everyone start out with the same discount from which "points" are deducted with every infraction logged (hard braking, hard acceleration, etc)?

2. If so, how many "points" will each particular infraction cause to be deducted?

Is there a formula or algorithm by which Nationwide relies on to come up with the discounts?

Try asking Nationwide those questions and see how far you get. I've tried but Nationwide wants to remain peculiarly tight-lipped about SmartRide.

If Nationwide refuses to provide the proper transparency for its program, then its results are dubious at best.How do you know you weren't eligible for a larger discount?

I believe they have corrected those problems as I have had mine for three weeks now and it's pretty accurate so far. I have it on Three vehicles and I check it every day or so while logging my own personal information to compare with there's. So far so good.

Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States #1042835

Just installed the smart ride device on my SUV yesterday and after 10 miles of driving my car just stopped in the middle of the road and could not be restarted, i unplugged the device and tried starting the car after 5 minutes and it started, now the car has its check engine lights on.